Miramar, together with Son Marroig and the Cartoixa de Valldemossa, is one of the most interesting cultural places of this part of the Tramuntana mountain range. It can be visited from Tuesday to Sunday.
The Miramar Monastery, situated in the property of the same name, in the municipality of Valldemossa, was founded in 1276 by King James II of Mallorca, at the request of Ramon Llull, to held a missionary school dedicated to teaching Arabic and other oriental languages, with a view to preparing friars to convert the heathen to Christianity.
The Beatified Ramon Llull, who in 1273 had already withdrawn for some time to Randa for a contemplation, spent three years in Miramar, where he taught 12 friars and to write some of his books. The Archduke Ludwig Salvatore of Austria (1847 - 1915) bought the old property in 1872 after falling in love with the scenery of the northern coats of Mallorca. According to the Archduke in 'Die Balearen': "without drought no other place on earth deserves with more reason the name of Miramar". At that time the property extended as far as the top of the Teix mountain, and followed along the coast to the East to Son Marroig, in the municipality of Deià, a property that the Archduke also bought a few years later. The property also included to the West the land and vineyards of s'Estaca, where in 1878 the Archduke built a singular Sicilian style house and promoted the growing of the vines.
Inside the house, there is the sculpture by Tantardini in memory of Vratislav Vyborny, Ludwig Salvador's first secretary, and a partial reproduction of the interior of the Nixe II with authentic parts of the Archduke's yacht. The main Ramon Llull hall is also visited, where there are several graphic works relating to Lulism, such as a reproduction of the 12 miniatures by Breviculum; and a small library, in the old stable, that has books and objects relating to the life and work of Llull.
Leaving the house, the garden links to the "mirador" where spectacular view over the sea can be enjoyed. The walk continues in the garden of the "Torre del Moro", a singular area where there are geometric figures by Ramon Llull drawn in the gardenbeds and an Italian style pond constructed in the time of the Archduke. Returning along the same path, there is a garden of yew trees, that still preserve the remains of the shape of a Byzantine cross of the base of the ancient church, and from here on to the present chapel, designed by Frederic Wachskmanna and built in the Archduke's time.